York Ceramics Fair 2019


As I was on my walk around York’s walls, I spotted a sign for the York Ceramics Fair and thought it merited a detour. I’m so glad I did as it was a magnificent display of ceramics in so many different styles. All the artists were members of the Craft Potters Association.

One thing that really caught my attention was the number of artists using really bright colours. Such a change from varying shades of brown.


These dishes were astonishingly light and the artist told me she used the clay used to make porcelain doll faces.



Kerstin Gren uses wild ochres she has collected from different landscapes.
 
Other pieces had creative patterns or shapes.



Jenny Morten plays with the balance of the pieces as well as layering ribbons on top of her pots so you are always looking through a screen.


Jeremy Nichols is interested in the relationship between function and form. I tried pouring from one of his pots, and it felt quite comfortable.


Paul Young says he draws inspiration from early Staffordshire ware with a contemporary twist.


I believe this piece is by Adela Powell. I thought it was an interesting take on an archaeological dig containing both pottery’s past and present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward