Flavourful Saskatoon, November 4, 2019


Local Happenings 
I had lunch at Restaurant Kashmere on Broadway Avenue on Friday. If you enjoy Indian food, this is the place to go. The dahl was creamy and flavourful. The eggplant bharja had a bit more zip – if you enjoy lots of onion, choose this one. I appreciated knowing that they were using (and promoting) Saskatchewan lentils and you could tell they were cooking from scratch. Service was excellent and the food was beautifully presented.

Prairie Sun Brewery is now open on Broadway with regular hours, 7 days a week, starting Tuesday, Nov. 5.

Aria Restaurant & Spirits in Rosewood offers a diverse menu with food for everyone, regardless of their dietary restrictions.

Bulk Basket opens in Riversdale on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and is hosting its grand opening on Nov. 16 and 17. There is free 2-hour parking on Avenue D and 8 customer parking spaces behind the store.


Products 
In a potentially futile effort to combat insomnia, I have come across a range of organic teas. I’m enjoying them so much that I’m not too fussed about their potential to send me to sleep – but it can’t hurt! Pukka Herbs offers a wide variety of organic teas and actively seek out Fairtrade and FairWild certified ingredients. I’m enjoying the relaxing teas at bedtime. The chamomile tea is much more flavourful than other chamomile teas I’ve had in the past, perhaps because it includes three different types of chamomile – Egyptian, Croatian, and Hungarian. I also recommend the Night Time tea, which includes oat flower, lavender, and limeflower.

The term FairWild was new to me. Their goal is to ensure ecologically, socially, and economically sustainable resource management and supply practices throughout the supply chain of wild-collected products. It sounds like a great idea to me as foraging for wild food can easily get out of hand.


Recipes 
I would never have thought of using a potato masala curry as a toasted sandwich filling. But, then again, why not!

Food for Thought 
I’m going to be thinking twice before I purchase any more cashew-based products as I’m really not happy about “contributing to an industry sullied by a long, complex supply chain rife with human rights abuses.”

Containers and packaging make up 30% of America’s waste so it’s good to see supermarkets as well as independent stores moving to bulk food. But it needs to be done right. Can customers bring their own containers or are you offering them plastic or paper bags? How many customers buy bulk chickpeas – maybe they would be more inclined to buy bulk hummus?

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post articles about food that is good, clean and fair; travel; and books. You may also enjoy EcoFriendly Sask profiling Saskatchewan nature/environmental initiatives and events. 

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais