Bassingham Village and Farmland


As I was travelling to England, I was second guessing my choice of housesits. Why had I chosen so many small villages with limited amenities and minimal bus service? Why hadn’t I chosen more big cities? But then I arrived in Bassingham and I realized I had made the right decision. It didn’t hurt that the sun was shining!

The house I’m staying in is lovely, full of light and cozy furniture and a sweet Bengal cat called Nala. She was very vocal when her “Mum” was still around but has been sleeping most of the day. She did get up and eat while the “stranger” was out of the house. And she came begging for some of my cheese at lunchtime.


Bassingham is a small village just outside of Lincoln in the east of England. There are two small stores, and I was delighted to discover that they sold everything I needed – from muesli for breakfast to wine with supper. I bought some lovely cherry and orange marmalade from a small, local home-kitchen business called Saints and Sinners and I’ll be making apple sauce shortly with my English-grown Bramley apples. The apples are misshapen and sour, but I love them.





In the afternoon, I headed out in the sunshine. I started out on a public bridlepath, but it turned rather muddy so I headed on to the farm roads instead. Judging by the size of some of the shrubs’ trunks, the hedge must be very old. I hope it’s home to lots of small critters. There were enormous oak trees, fields full of kale, and horses in a field nearer town.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Beer: History, Trivia and War