A Rabbit, a Horse, and an Owl: The Trail from Bassingham to Carlton-le Moorland


I never know what to expect when I arrive at a new housesit, especially when it’s a small place with relatively little information available online. Bassingham, Lincolnshire, has been a delightful surprise. I had some lovely walks along the farm roads, an excellent supper at The Five Bells, and a couple of active days in Lincoln. But it’s the little things that I will remember the most – cuddles with the puss once she decided to trust me, super-friendly staff in the local stores, and masses and masses of footpaths and sidewalks – pedestrian heaven!

Last, but certainly not least, I stumbled upon the most wonderful walking path between Bassingham and Carlton-le Moorland. Paved and just one-mile long it looked like a perfect afternoon outing when I took a break from work. Imagine my surprise when I found a giant carved rabbit near the beginning of the trail.

And, when I rounded a corner, there was a larger-than-life-sized horse. 


There were wonderfully elaborate benches as well and an owl was guarding the path once I reached my destination of Carlton-le Moorland.





There were also signs telling you what birds and other wildlife you were likely to see as well as common hedgerow shrubs.


There were no signs explaining the sculptures – just a fun, informative trail designed by the locals for all who passed that way. Bassingham farmers used to share the services of a bull and he is remembered by a life-sized bench in the shape of a resting bull in the village centre. A sign provides some explanation and refers to community members creating a sculpture wall, but all the artists remain anonymous. There are also signboards of Bassingham then and now, pointing to various landmarks.


Bassingham could have so easily become an anonymous bedroom community as is certainly indicated by all the new housing, but it has chosen to recognize its past and celebrate the talents of its residents. Well done, Bassingham!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward