Kaleidoscope Gardens has expanded its vegetable growing operation. They’ve purchased a farm/acreage near Blackstrap Lake and spent the fall setting up unheated high tunnels (pictured), a heated greenhouse for starting transplants, and irrigation and power to the site. They will be growing all the vegetables they grew last year (exciting stuff like sweet potatoes and mini eggplants of all shapes and sizes) and aim to be back at the market by May.
Earth Bound Bakery
Earth Bound Bakery is completely closed from March 1-18 to put the finishing touches on their renovations. I’m looking forward to visiting their expanded facilities. Maybe I’ll make a lunch date with myself for March 18!
The Night Oven Bakery
I was fortunate enough to attend a come and go event for family and friends at The Night Oven Bakery. Bryn Rawlyk was making mini pizzas in the wood-fired ovens and there were croissants and other goodies to sample. I had a pain au chocolat – oh, my! It was oozing with butter and dark chocolate goodness – delicious! The bakery should be open in a few weeks.
Saskatoon Farmers’ Market
I pick up so many tasty treats at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market, even in the winter. Here are some of my current favorites:
- Pea sprouts and sweet baby carrots from Wally’s Urban Market Garden
- Lettuce and Swiss chard from Floating Gardens (plus the first eggplant of the season!)
- Squash, onion and goat cheese mini pies (with raisins!) from Prairie Pie Company
- Salted caramel macarons, soup and pizza flatbreads from Wild Serendipity Foods
- Sour cherry topping (great on Greek yogurt) from Prairie Sun Orchard
- Camembert and a chunky rosemary-infused feta cheese from Herschel Hills Artisan Cheese House
Nosh Eatery & Tap
Nosh Eatery & Tap, the new mostly-vegetarian restaurant at 820 Broadway Avenue, is under construction, including their website. You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.
Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.
You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).