Supper at Five Bells, Bassingham


I walked past the Five Bells on my first day in Bassingham and it looked so inviting. I liked the combination of red brick, ivy, and various potted plants. I’d also been told they served very good food, so I decided to try it out. Now that was a good move! The Five Bells offers excellent food in pleasant surroundings with friendly service.

There are wood fires at both ends of the low, wood-beamed room. I was seated inside the chimney nook that ran the width of the room so I was lovely and cosy. The ceiling beams were strung with dried hops and the walls and shelving were filled to overflowing with everything from a stuffed fish to a portrait of Winston Churchill. There were horse brasses and brass jugs, old books, an antique record player, an assortment of relics from World Wars I and II, and so much more.



I really enjoyed my meal, which was beautifully presented. The squash, sweet potato, and chickpea burger was served with a generous portion of fries, crispy onions, and salad. For dessert I had toffee apple pudding with custard. I was pleased to note they had a full vegetarian menu.

What impressed me as much as the food was the service. It was friendly and unpretentious and I never felt rushed or overlooked because I was on my own.

A weeknight, the room was full of local residents – a middle-aged son entertaining his mother with his jokes, a couple celebrating the husband’s renewed health, and a large group of men who were clearly enjoying themselves. I definitely recommend a meal at Five Bells if you’re ever in this part of Lincolnshire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward