Kissed by Sunshine: Meandering in Perpignan


My third visit to Perpignan and it is fast becoming one of my favorite French cities. Of course, it helps that I’ve always visited on sunny days!


Perpignan is one of France’s southernmost cities with large squares, restaurant terraces, lovely old buildings, market stalls, winding alleys filled with clothing stores and chocolate shops, tea salons and tiny restaurants with brightly-coloured outdoor tables.



In the morning, I visited Les Halles Vauban, a brand-new, up-market collection of food stores and restaurants.


I drooled over the pâtisseries, longed to dip a spoon into the gooey Gorgonzola, and resisted purchasing some of every kind of olive.


The best surprise of the day was the rooftop terrace at Galeries Lafayette with its amazing views in every direction.



Lunch was wine, pizza, sunshine, and the delight of watching all the people crossing back and forth in the square.


This lovely art deco building is a cinema where I gave my feet a break and thoroughly enjoyed the movie Prendre Le Large (Catch the Wind in English). I highly recommend it.



The sun was setting as I made my way back to the bus station.


I applaud the Roussillon regional government for subsidizing inter-city bus fares in order to increase accessibility for residents of the many small towns in this area. I paid 1 euro (less than $1.50) for a two-hour bus journey – a shocking contrast with Saskatchewan where the government did away with provincial bus service.

Earlier posts about Perpignan:
Mediterranean Perpignan
Perpignan à Noël

Comments

Avril said…
Absolutely stunning! Enjoying your trek around the south of France!

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan