Alhambra Bestiary - Granada








I think we often forget that we share our space with birds and animals. So I was surprised to arrive at the Alhambra and to find that so many animals had made their home there. It upset me to see all the scrawny cats, and I immediately shared my cheese sandwich with three of them.
Swallows circled the courtyards on my morning visit, shrieking louder than all the humans combined. The sparrows had made nests in the hollows formed by the delicate stone lacework over the archways and were busy feeding their babies. All the birds enjoy bathing and drinking from the fountains and pools.

And, if you look closely, there are fish in all the ponds and basins. We share this earth, even the tourist spots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux