Organic Farmers' Market in the Heart of Marseille


I squeezed in a visit to two outdoor markets while I was in Marseille. They were both really interesting, so I’m posting separately for each.


Organic Farmers’ Market, Cours Julien
The organic farmers' market at Cours Julien is truly my dream market! Step out of the metro station and you’re in a large open square filled with local farmers and producers selling organic products. The market is held every Wednesday morning and is very centrally located.


All organic. All local. All food. And very accessible.

There was a really good range of products with two bakeries, two cheesemongers, lots of fruit and vegetables, as well as honey, olive oil, and butchers.



I chatted with the man selling olive oil. He showed me photos of collecting the olives in big nets and grinding them the traditional way between two stones.


Another man was selling a variety of jams and sauces. I bought a confiture de cornouille. I think it’s a kind of wild cherry, but I’m not sure. He told me that the fruit is small and can’t be eaten raw – it’s definitely tasty made into jam.


There was a large pond on two levels with a fountain and café tables set up beside it in the early morning sun, so I sat down and enjoyed a hot drink and the view.


If I lived here, I would have been able to shop at a large organics store next to the market. I understand there are a variety of other small independent businesses in this neighbourhood.



The graffiti was a striking element of this neighbourhood. But so were the views across the city.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux