Ghent - Love at First Sight


It was late afternoon when I arrived in Ghent, Belgium, and it was dusk by the time I’d settled into my accommodation and started walking downtown.


Perfect timing as it turns out as Ghent illuminates all its oldest buildings, turning the old city centre into a magical world after dark.


The old buildings, along canals or tucked away in corners, were just as lovely in the next morning’s sunlight.


Ghent has a long history of manufacturing wool and cotton cloth and shipping it out from its port, connected to the city by two rivers. At one point, it rivalled Paris in size and importance.


Today, it’s a lively town with 70,000 students. I’m sure there were tourists in the mix, but they didn’t overwhelm the locals.


I was grateful that so many people spoke English (the official language is Flemish) – from bus drivers to restaurant staff.


I walked until my legs ached and could barely move (cobblestones!) and loved every minute of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux