Flavourful Saskatoon, May 4, 2020


Local News
The Hollows is closing and the historic Golden Dragon building will be torn down in the fall. The Hollows co-owner Christie Peters shares some of her memories.

Kaleidoscope Vegetable Gardens expects to have fresh spinach for sale this coming weekend. I can hardly wait! I am so grateful that the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market Co-operative went online so we can still get fresh produce.

North Americans normally spend over 50% of their food dollars eating out. So when all the restaurants and coffee shops are forced to close, it has a major impact on all parts of the food chain. Small local businesses are struggling to pay the rent and all their other monthly bills. They’re innovating to the best of their ability with takeout and delivery options, but as Tony Naylor says on Twitter, “You know that restaurant/ bar/ brewery/ bottle shop near you which has started delivery? They’ve not done it for fun, like this is an episode of the Apprentice. They’re not making top dollar. It’s not a clever pivot. They won’t be ‘fine’. In all likelihood they’re clinging on.” Shop local; support your neighbours. (It’s tough, but I forced myself to eat chocolate cheesecake from Sparrow last week – feel obliged to do it again this week! Hah! Hah!)

Recipes
Do you ever find yourself with greens that are past their prime? If so, you may be like me and welcome these recipes for All Greens Pasta and Peanut Butter Roasted Kale.


Food for Thought 
Oh! How I miss visiting the Saskatoon Public Library! Here is a book I’d like to read when it does reopen. The Restaurant: A 2000 Year History of Dining Out begins with the taverns and restaurants of Pompeii and closes with a look at the future of dining out. One wonders if the book will need to be updated once we’ve seen the long-term impact of Covid-19.

In the Kitchen 
I’m not used to spending so much time at home. At first, I devoted my energy to housecleaning, but I’ve now switched into cooking mode. I’ve had great fun ordering spices this week from two Canadian companies. Silk Road Spice Merchants is an Alberta company. I’ve used their spices in the past and loved them, but they’re receiving so many orders that they’re shutting down online sales intermittently. I was lucky enough to place an order during a brief window on Saturday. Earlier in the week I placed an order with a Montreal company based in the Jean Talon Market – Épices de Crue (Spice Trekkers). A lot of their spice mixes are whole, not ground. The recipes on their website are well worth investigating. 

I’ve been dreaming about dark, spicy gingerbread cake for the past couple of weeks. I made some yesterday and it turned out perfectly (for my tastebuds). I included lots of unsulfured organic molasses, some Mexican vanilla (thank you, Isobel!), lots of ginger, and a large dash of cinnamon. But my secret weapon, which ensured a really moist cake (despite using 100% whole wheat flour), was grated carrot and parsnip (one large root of each). Thank you Simpkins Market Garden!

Photos: Borough Market, London, UK

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post articles about food that is good, clean and fair; travel; and books. You may also enjoy EcoFriendly Sask profiling Saskatchewan nature/environmental initiatives and events. 

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward