Sunshine on the South West Coast Path


Sunshine is a relatively rare commodity in Great Britain, so when the forecast looks promising I head rapidly out the door.


I joined the South West Coast Path, which stretches for 630 miles from Minehead to Poole, at Westward Ho! I know – it’s a very unusual name for a town. Located just south of where I’m staying in Appledore, Westward Ho! was named after a novel by Charles Kingsley in the hope that the name would attract visitors to this small seaside resort. Apparently it worked and continues to work today drawing in surfers and families to enjoy the long stretch of beach.




The South West Coast Path heads out along the coast with slopes of gorse and vibrant green fields dotted with flocks of sheep on one side and charging waves breaking against the rocks on the other.


Small pebble beaches interrupt the cliffs and there are views along the coast to Clovelly and across the open sea to Lundy Island.


There is an abandoned house on the outskirts of Westward Ho! that captures my imagination. Did a large Victorian family spend many happy family holidays here, or was it the scene of violence and great sadness?


I enjoyed a meal at the Pier House overlooking the sea, and I amused myself, as always, with the names and décor of the various beach huts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Beer: History, Trivia and War