The Unexpected Benefits of Housesitting


Housesitting was, initially, a less expensive way to travel. But as I reflect on the past few years when I have housesat more and more, I realize I have experienced a great many unexpected benefits from housesitting.

Fully Alive 
It’s easy to sleepwalk through life. We have routines and predictable patterns. To a fair degree, those get thrown out the window when I’m housesitting. All of a sudden, I’m in a new place and I have to figure everything out from scratch.

I may not have even seen the house or have an exact address before I arrive, so there are some anxieties, but I’ve learned to treat it as an adventure.

I’ve gone to places I’ve never heard of before and would not have chosen to visit and yet I fell in love with them. I could easily live in Quillan and I really enjoyed the architecture and the outlet of the Louvre in Lens.

I buy fruit and vegetables at the butcher’s. I discover the multiple ways to travel into London from the suburbs. I eat local specialties – from Basque cheese with pimenton to Bramley cooking apples and red currants.

I take advantage of whatever opportunities are available. When I’m close to a movie theatre, I watch several films. In London, I head to the museums. I attended a talk on archaeology and an amateur theatre festival in Quillan (in French).

Different Lives & Cultures 
We tend to take it for granted that everyone lives the same way we do. But that’s not the case. It’s often the smallest details that bring this close to home. You need to lift the handle on many European doors before you can lock them. Not all clothes dryer have an air vent – you may need to empty the drawer where the excess water is stored. I’m gradually getting the hang of different electrical appliances (televisions, vacuum cleaners, dishwashers), but I’m still stumped occasionally. I discovered the hard way that some dishwasher tablets need to be unwrapped!

I watch British and French television. I follow local politics. I’m intimately aware of the local weather and wildlife. What’s wintery weather in the UK certainly wouldn’t qualify in Saskatchewan! I’m feeding a fox at my present housesit and now know they mark their territory with their very pungent scent. There are wild green parakeets and grey squirrels at the bird feeder.


I Can Do It! 
I end up doing things I’ve never done before when I’m housesitting. I’m familiar with cats and dogs, but 18 chickens was a completely new experience.

Several of the homes I’ve been in this year are heated primarily or completely by wood. Keeping the fire going and the house warm is much more immediate when you’re putting logs on the fire and not just turning the dial on the thermostat.

Healthier 
I get more exercise when I’m housesitting. The houses are all larger than my apartment, and I have more chores to do – whether it’s feeding the chickens or cleaning up after the cats.

I rely on public transit and walk miles when exploring a new place. I bring groceries home in my backpack.


Space & Pets
I consider myself very fortunate to have a nice apartment in Saskatoon, but, oh, I do so enjoy living in a house, having space to move about, lots of windows to view the world outside, and a garden.

I don't have pets of my own so the opportunity to offer my lap to a purring cat or take a dog for a walk is priceless.


Self-Contained 
Housesitting for extended periods of time wouldn’t suit everyone. I’m an introvert and very independent, but I value staying in touch with friends and family online and by phone. I was immensely grateful to receive Christmas cards and presents in the mail.

My work keeps me connected as well, tying me in to my home community and giving me a sense of purpose. I’m not sure I’d be as happy if I were a full-time tourist.


It’s All Good 
No housesit is perfect. But the benefits always, always outweigh the disadvantages – fabulous day trips, walks by the sea, the opportunity to be in a really interesting city.

If you’re interested, take a look at the Trusted Housesitters website. The Nomador website is smaller but excellent if you want to housesit in France (it helps to be bilingual).

Comments

Catherine said…
I loved this post, Penny... what a fun insight into this unique gig. I'm now considering being a 'working tourist' house/pet-sittter
Penny McKinlay said…
Thank you, Catherine. I certainly enjoy housesitting and would recommend it to others.

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais