Flavourful Saskatoon, July 21, 2014

I was on the road this past week, so here is a flavourful assortment from across the Prairies.


Saskatoon
I had company this past week and we had excellent meals at three different restaurants:

Odd Couple Restaurant on 20th Street for a look at how Saskatoon is evolving

The Woods Ale House for local beer and a large selection of vegetarian options

Boffin’s at Innovation Place for a quiet meal in a peaceful garden setting (be sure to take the time to admire the flowers)


Hafford, SK
AM Bistro & Bakery in Hafford is a real gem. They opened at the beginning of July and have an excellent selection of homemade pies. I wish they had some vegetarian options on the menu, but I suspect they would improvise if asked. There’s seating indoors as well as on the wraparound porch.


Pincher Creek, AB
I had a very brief overnight stay in Pincher Creek on my way west. The flower displays (see above) are outstanding and maintained by volunteers. I also enjoyed the murals on the Legion Hall depicting families waiting for those who went to war.

The bakery looked attractive but wasn’t open (despite the hours posted on the door) when I stopped by on my way out of town.


Nelson, BC
I stocked up on groceries at one of my favorite stores on Sunday – the Kootenay Co-op in Nelson, BC. They have a wonderful deli section with everything from soup and salad to cookies and cake. They are open 7 days a week from 7:30 am to 9 pm – amazing!


Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux