Flavourful Saskatoon, July 14, 2014

New Businesses 
Drift Sidewalk Café hopes to open in October next door to Escape Sports. In the meantime, they plan to launch a popsicle bike. Sounds like fun – especially if we have a hot summer.

I know next to nothing about Guerilla Coffee YXE who just started following me on Twitter. They appear to be planning pop-up coffee stands offering “guerilla coffee.” If you can tell me more, please do, as I’m curious.


I had a chance to visit with Tempest Besse of Tempest's Gourmet Grub and sample her curried coconut squash soup and quinoa salad as well as her raw vegan Amaze Balls and brownies. They were all really good and made with local, organic ingredients with lots of health benefits.

Tempest would like to open a coffee shop one day. In the meantime, you can contact her to cater an event.


Tempest will be offering free samples of her wares from 11 to 2 on July 19 and 26 at the 33rd Street Market.

International Farmers Market
The International Farmers' Market & Bazaar (formerly located in the basement of St. James Anglican Church) has moved to a new place and time. Starting this Tuesday, July 15, they will be located at Grace Westminster Church on 10th Street East, just off Broadway, from 11 am to 6 pm. (via Cake Witch Cafe)

Purple Pea Pods
I’m a sucker for anything new. And if it’s purple, that’s even better! So I had to try the purple snow peas (Shiraz) from Kaleidoscope Vegetable Gardens. They are sweet and tender when lightly cooked. And so pretty!


Three Farmers Roasted Chickpeas
Three Farmers has published a fascinating account of how they developed their newest product: Roasted Chickpeas. I am so looking forward to trying them.

Uncle Mike’s All Natural Products 
I’ve been using Uncle Mike’s Chili Lime Basil Soap, which he says he created in honour of his brother who is a chef. The fragrance is light but lingers and Mike says this is because he uses essential oils, not artificial fragrances.

Mike also reassured me that he purchases his palm oil through the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil. Large-scale palm oil plantations have caused widespread deforestation in the tropics so this was reassuring.

Au Soleil Levant French Canadian Bakery, Nelson, BC
BC Bound 
I’m heading to Nelson, BC at the end of the week, so I’m sure I’ll be posting some BC stories, especially on Facebook. But there will be lots of Saskatoon news as well as I have three or four new business profiles just waiting to be written and posted.

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux