Exploring Aix-en-Provence


The sun seemed to shine the whole time I was in Aix-en-Provence. That isn’t exactly true, but it’s how it felt.


I had a comfortable small apartment in an 18th century family home with a wood-beamed ceiling and a large window looking out over the courtyard garden and the tower of St. Sauveur Cathedral.



The old town was just a two-minute walk away and I went in most days to shop at the daily fruit and vegetable and flower markets or to admire the architecture.



Hȏtel Caumont has been beautifully restored so I could catch a glimpse of what life was like in Aix a couple of centuries ago.



I took a couple of guided walks and learned so much about the Aix's wealth of 17th and 18th century mansions. The town has 130 fountains, another sign of wealth in a hot, dry area. 



I walked up to Cézanne’s atelier in the hills overlooking Aix. It had been left untouched after his death and I found it very moving. The house was surrounded by a wild garden full of spring blooms.


Cézanne used to head further up the hill to paint Mont St. Victoire. It was cloudy so I couldn’t see the famous mountain, but I still enjoyed the view.

Bandols wine is aged in large barriques

Cassis is a very small French wine designation

I also took a half-day wine tour and visited two wineries – one in Bandols and one in Cassis. We also had a brief stop at Cap Canaille with a view down over the town of Cassis and the Mediterranean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan