Flavourful Saskatoon, June 4, 2018


Wine Tasting, June 6 
Ingredients Artisan Market is hosting an impromptu (and free) wine tasting from 3-6 pm, June 6.

Indigenous Food Sovereignty, June 7 
Join Dr. Priscilla Settee and Ms. Jenni Schrenk for a shared meal and a talk on traditional Indigenous food systems at 7 pm, June 7. The meal includes fish.

Snowy Village Saskatoon 
Michelle Zimmer of Wild Serendipity Foods says the bingsoo at Snowy Village Saskatoon are delicious. Bingsoo (bingsu) is a Korean Shaved Ice that is loaded with sweetened condensed milk, fruit, chocolate, and other goodies.

Tea Time Party Service 
Michelle also told me about Tea Time Party Service. From china tea cups to fair trade tea, dainty sandwiches, scones and cakes, Shenuka, the owner, brings everything to your home. All you have to do is invite your friends, sit back, and relax. Shenuka’s family immigrated from Sri Lanka where tea and tea production are an important part of culture and industry. By sharing her love of tea, she stays connected to her homeland.

Native Vegetables & Community Unity in Tanzania 
I was born in Tanzania so this article about a woman who has worked hard to promote indigenous vegetables was of particular interest to me. I remember eating squash leaves when I visited Tanzania 15 years ago, and I’ve always wondered if we could be doing the same – the answer appears to be yes.


Old-Timer Vegetarian Rant 
I’ve been vegetarian for 35 years. Being vegetarian was less common in those days and there were fewer vegetarian restaurants or ready-made meals. But that wasn’t a problem! I was living in Ottawa where there was a wealth of international restaurants, which offered all sorts of vegetarian options. I bought cookbooks that introduced me to different ways of preparing food – zucchini sandwiches, West African peanut stew . . . the list goes on and on. Suddenly vegetables were the central feature of my meals and I loved it.

I’m thrilled to see more people becoming vegetarian or vegan, but I’m also concerned by an emphasis on eating meat substitutes. Veggie burgers are great, but I don’t want one that bleeds – it doesn’t even have to taste or chew like meat – it just has to be flavourful and nutritious. I worry that coconut yogurt contains next to no protein – it may taste like a vegan substitute for yogurt, but they don’t offer the same nutritional value.

I've eaten at two vegan restaurants recently. In both cases, I really enjoyed the meal, but I won't be returning any time soon. I had a flavourful pad thai at Seasoned Fusion Tastes, but apart from a few bean sprouts, it contained absolutely no vegetables. Instead, the focus was on meat substitutes, which are highly processed from unknown ingredients. Where are the authentic plant-based protein options, such as tofu, tempeh, beans, and nuts? Gud Eats offers fun fast food, great for an occasional treat but certainly not on a regular basis. My go-to vegetarian restaurant will remain Nosh Eatery & Tap, which offers far healthier options.

It’s a brave step to become vegetarian or vegan, but it’s time to be bold! Grab some Saskatchewan-grown lentils, throw some beans in a pot with lots and lots of locally-grown vegetables and explore all the different international spice options.

Photos: Dishes served at Nosh Eatery & Tap

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post articles about food that is good, clean and fair; travel; and books. You may also enjoy EcoFriendly Sask profiling Saskatchewan environmental initiatives and events. 

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais