Cake or Bears? Take Your Pick


I admire clever advertising, whether it’s wine labels or restaurant signs.


These ones in Shrewsbury for Stop Café, the Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery’s restaurant, are funny and clever. It’s inexpensive advertising, and it works. Plus, I had a really excellent lunch with superior service.



I asked if I could have a small bowl of soup alongside my quiche. Not only did they accommodate my request, but they didn’t charge me for the soup, which came with a bun and butter.


On the other hand, the Loopy Shrew’s signage drew me in the door, but I didn’t stay. The server had to be reminded that she should take my order, and they’d run out of the advertised soup of the day and an alternate wouldn’t be available for another hour. And this was at 12:30 pm – why didn’t they realize they would run out and start a new batch sooner?


The final sign is for my sister in law who was a Saskatoon police officer for 25 years. In this case, however, Cop refers to the location, which is Shrewsbury’s Wyle Cop (top of the hill in medieval English).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux