Flavourful Saskatoon, April 7, 2014

Wayward Ginger 
Take a look at Jasmin Fookes’ Wayward Ginger podcasts. Jasmin talks with food entrepreneurs across North America. In the most recent episode, she talks to Ashala Daniel of Three Feet Below, an organic canning CSA in Richmond, BC.


Three Feet Below [sea level] sell a variety of products, ranging from Rosemary Pear Preserves to Pickled Oyster Mushrooms and Kimchi.

Southern Prairie Railway 
I would love to take a trip on the Southern Prairie Railway, an old-fashioned steam train with a 1922 Pullman passenger car that runs from Ogema to Horizon. This year’s trips include Art and History in Southern Saskatchewan, an overnight trip with a wine and food pairing in the Shurniak Art Gallery; the Pangman Market Train which departs every Saturday morning; a Pitchfork Fondue; and the Train Eggs-travaganza Brunch. Doesn’t it sound like fun!

Grape Expectations 
A young couple with two young children decide to invest all their savings to buy a vineyard in France. Grape Expectations by Caro Feely is the story of the blood, gut and tears that they invest in their organic, biodynamic winery.

“We couldn’t afford new things, the girls had hand-me-down clothes, as did I, Sean’s gear was more hole than cloth, but we were living and feeling more deeply than ever before. . . . We were taking a risk but we were living. This was not the safe option but it was our option. It was more than a job. It was our lives. Yes, there were no weekends off but there was also fulfillment that you could not put a price on. Not only that, we were living our philosophy, contributing to what we believed in through our organic practices.”

The book reminded me of how much I admire Saskatoon’s food entrepreneurs who give their all in providing us with fresh, flavourful, healthy products. Thank you.

If you can’t get enough of reading about France, Martin Walker writes a mystery series set in the same area of France as the Feely’s winery, Chateau Haut Garrigue. His most recent book is The Resistance Man. Never fear! There are lots of descriptions of French food and wine!

Tottenham’s Local Cheesemaker
Here’s another awesome local entrepreneur who quit his job as a management consultant to make and sell cheese. And his goal isn’t to get rich – it’s to serve his local community:

“I want to be an artisan producer to my neighbourhood, not a supplier for the whole country, so turn down a lot of non-London sales. For me, it's about reaffirming a sense of locality. Where I live might've had a bad press in recent years, but I'm so happy to have been able to build my business in my own community – I've always been here to stay.”

Mexican Cheese Myths
I consider myself a cheese aficionado, but I have a lot to learn about Mexican cheese. This article on the myths about Mexican cheese is a good starting point.


Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan