Flavourful Saskatoon, July 1, 2013

Old Friends 
It was great to catch up with some old friends this weekend. Kevin, formerly of Saskatoon Sous Chef, is now working full time at Earth Bound Bakery. Brad, also of Sous Chef, is using the kitchen facilities and helping out in a pinch.

Lunch at Boffin’s 
I had a great lunch at Boffin’s at Innovation Place last week – and there were 3 or 4 vegetarian main courses to choose from – I’m impressed!

My brother and I enjoyed the roasted bell pepper stuffed with toasted quinoa, olives, sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed spinach with a grilled asparagus and bean salad. My sister had the house-made gnocchi with roasted peach segments, fresh herbs, blue cheese and toasted pecans in a Champagne, shallot butter sauce, while Shelley had the stir fry with jalapeño ginger sauce and rice.

For dessert, the chefs had made their version of a coffee crisp chocolate bar, and it was excellent.

2nd Avenue 
I finally made it to Congress Beer House and will have to go back frequently if I’m to try all the different beers and ciders that they have on tap and in bottles.

I’ve heard that the goat cheese and veggie stuffed bun at Honey Bun Café is very good (thanks, Karen!). There appear to be different soup specials every day as well, and it looks like one of them is always vegetarian.

City Perks 
City Perks is now open from 7 am to 10 pm Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm on Saturdays and 9 am to 6 pm on Sundays, with shorter hours on holidays. Their lunch menu of soup and quiche is also available in the evenings.

I was there a couple of times last week, and it was such a pleasant spot to sit and watch the sunlight dapple the trees.

Strawberries & Peas
Oh, I love it when the Saskatoon Farmers' Market starts stocking fresh seasonal produce. Saturday, I purchased asparagus, snow peas, strawberries and cherries. So good!

What Cheese Shall I Buy? 
I am so enjoying Herschel Hills’ locally-made cheese and make sure to sample all the different varieties when I’m at the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market.

Sharon McDaniel will be delighted to tell you about her cheeses, but, if you’re feeling shy, here are some tips for getting the conversation rolling and deciding what cheese you want to buy this week.

Thank you, Shelley, for the great photo - will Saskatoon's food trucks be staffed by virgins?

Farming and Climate Change
Climate variability and crop adaptation, biofuels, and sustainable farming practices – these are just a few of the issues around farming and climate change.

Heading to BC 
I’m heading to BC for a couple of weeks and taking a break from my weekly postings. Flavourful Saskatoon will be back on July 29.

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan

Saskatoon's Persian Store

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store

Au Pétrin Moissagais, Bordeaux