I go out walking in the middle of winter


Saskatoon got hit by a major winter storm this weekend. The streets are blocked with snow, and the buses aren't running. People are driving their cars, but you can expect to get stuck or have difficulties if you try to stop or turn or pass another vehicle.

And it really doesn't affect me. Because I don't have a carcentric lifestyle. I can walk to the grocery store, walk to the offices where I work, even walk to the library or the coffee shop.

I'm sure that a great many people are grumbling and complaining that the City isn't clearing the streets fast enough. But what do we expect? Human beings have tried to impose their structure and rules in creating an urban environment. But, when push comes to shove, nature is far more powerful than we are. When will we learn that we have no choice but to live in harmony with nature?

And, yes, I'm fully aware that I am not living off the grid. If the power had gone out, I'd have been in trouble.

Photo courtesy of the Saskatoon Star Phoenix
Title courtesy of Connie Kaldor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais