Collioure Windmill Walk


On my first full day in Collioure, I went for a walk uphill to Collioure’s windmill. The walk starts at the modern art gallery and meanders its way through a naturally wild cactus garden overlooking the sea.



Above the cactus garden is a small open-air pagoda (not shown). Apparently this was where Senator Pams came to smoke opium in times gone by.


Stone stairs lead up to the 14th century windmill that was used to grind grain. It was repaired recently and is now used to make olive oil.



There is a panoramic view of the terraced hillside vineyards. The Greeks introduced grapes and wine-making and Collioure/Banyuls is apparently the oldest wine region in France.


I could have headed further up the hill to Fort St Elme. It was getting late, however, so I took the stairs heading down the hill through a grove of olive trees.



I  had started my walk at the art gallery and I ended it at the Dominican monastery, which is now used by the local wine co-operative – a perfect opportunity to sample the sweet Banyul wines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Beer: History, Trivia and War