It's January! Time for Tiles, Mosaics, and Portugal


2021 – a new year that will hopefully include new travel opportunities. In the meantime, I’ll be combatting the cold and ice of January in Saskatchewan with an exploration of Portugal’s history and azulejos and a side serving of mosaics. 


I visited Spain in 2009 and 2011 and was blown away by the ceramic tiles – from Valencia’s Estació del Nord, to the alcazares in Sevilla and Cordoba, to Gaudí’s fantastical architecture. 


It made me all the more eager to visit Portugal where the azulejos (ceramic tiles) have gained a world-wide reputation. Portugal’s azulejos date back to the 13th century. They can now be found throughout Portugal, both indoors and outdoors, in private homes and public buildings. 


On my trips to Spain, I saw a number of really lovely Roman mosaics. The Palacio Lebrija in Sevilla had a large collection paving most of the main floor. Archaeologists have recently uncovered a large 5th century mosaic floor in the Cotswolds, which puts paid to the theory that Britain descended into the dark ages immediately following the Roman departure. 


Discovery
I want to expand my knowledge of tiles and mosaics so I’m planning to read a number of library books exploring their history, both past and present. I’m also planning to read books about the history of Lisbon, particularly during World War II when it served as a major gateway to freedom (and spy central). I hope to take a virtual tour of some Portuguese buildings and I will be sure to drink a bottle of Portuguese wine. I could try my hand at making a mosaic, but I suspect that won’t happen. 

Do you have any other recommendations? 


To Read 
Greek & Roman Mosaics 
Skylight, José Saramago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward