February Hodge Podge


I admit! I have been overly optimistic when setting my monthly themes. It’s the end of January and 3 of my books about Portugal and tiles/mosaics are still unread, so I’ve decided to lower the bar this month. 

Hodge podge is a Nova Scotian casserole that relies on seasonal vegetables to make a simple but delicious one-pot meal. It sounds like a great way for me to make use of some of the local root vegetables that are currently in my fridge. And I’ll try to do the same when making my book choices by emphasizing the books that are already on my bookshelves, both physical and virtual. 

I am longing for tropical climates and lush, green gardens so I plan to read a travel book and a book of gardening stories. I’m also looking for some simple wisdom so plan to reread either Winnie the Pooh or The Wind in the Willows. I’ve found some gardening programs on Acorn TV and hope to explore history and evolution of the British garden from the 17th to the 20th century with Monty Don. 

If you’re looking for an absorbing read, I highly recommend Susie Steiner’s books about a Cambridgeshire police officer. The character development is outstanding and the plots are engrossing. I recommend reading them in order, starting with Missing, Presumed


I’m currently reading Mudlark: In Search of London’s Past Along the River Thames by Lara Maiklem and it has reminded me of the hot summer when I spent happy hours poking around for old glass bottles in the Slocan River. There must be all sorts of treasures hidden in the mud lining the rivers flowing through Europe’s ancient cities – London has the great good fortune to be a tidal river and hence can be explored at low tide. 


Have a great February! Hold on to hope – for vaccines and renewed travel and social opportunities. We’ll get there eventually so long as we take care of each other.


Photos: Palacio de Viana, Cordoba, Spain; Alhambra Gardens, Granada, Spain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward