A Day at the Seaside


Norwich is very close to the North Sea so I decided to spend a day at the seaside.

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride on the top of a double decker bus. It takes 40 minutes to reach Great Yarmouth and there was so much to see: forested areas and fields, stone churches and old-fashioned windmills, shaggy ponies and a very self-assured rooster. There were glimpses of the canals and boats of the Norfolk Broads – happy memories of the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome.


Great Yarmouth used to be a major fishing and shipping port when Norwich was the centre of England’s cloth manufacturing trade. It now services the natural gas industry and is a tourist centre.


To an outsider, there is something quintessentially tacky about England’s seaside resorts. I cringe imagining the full English breakfasts being cooked in row after row of guest houses. The streets are lined with souvenir shops and restaurants of every nationality imaginable – not to mention Flutterbie’s Tea Room and the Fallen Angels Lapdancing Club. There’s a fun fair on the pier, a rollerskating rink and several mini golf courses.


For the British, I’m sure it brings back happy childhood memories. And I delighted in the sunshine and fresh breeze. Almost half the stands at the market were selling chips, and I couldn’t resist buying a cone – hot chips on a frosty morning followed by a hot chocolate at a beach café. What a great way to end the year.

Comments

Sue said…
I remember going to Great Yarmouth many, many years ago. I loved the roller coaster so much that when my boyfriend suggested staying on for a second go I agreed. Big mistake! I felt so queasy that when we went with friends for something to eat and drink afterwards all I could do was sip water! Apart from that, happy memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet