Moving On


I moved into a new housesit in Appledore, North Devon, yesterday. This is my third housesit looking after Fenn the puss in a lovely old fisherman’s cottage just up from the waterfront, so I was happy and looking forward to the move. But there are always some regrets and anxieties. I’ll miss my walks beside the sea in Littlehampton and the companionship of a wee dog that was never far from my side.

There’s also the upheaval of cleaning house, packing, and making travel plans. This particular trip involved changing trains at 3 different stations. Luckily, they were all small stations so it was easy to locate and change platforms. As I was early arriving at Littlehampton station, staff suggested I catch an earlier train, so I even had time to buy a hot drink at my first changeover! All the trains were on time, but that’s not always the case. My previous trip from Yorkshire to West Sussex was seriously messed up, but it’s hard to complain when you know the delays are often caused by someone committing suicide.


Each housesit is very different, but I particularly appreciate the homeowners who offer a generous welcome and friendship. I enjoy an opportunity to get to know them and to perhaps share a meal with them. After all, they are inviting me into the privacy of their home and I have agreed to care for their home and love their pet while they are away. Most of the homeowners go out of their way to make me feel welcome whether it’s by picking me up at the train station, taking me shopping, leaving some treats in the fridge, or a bouquet of flowers or a small Christmas tree. In return, I try to leave flowers or a plant and to make sure the home is at least as clean as it was when I arrived.

My first day in a housesit is always busy. I unpack, set up my laptop and workstation (usually on the dining room table), shop for groceries (Appledore is a popular tourist destination so I have the luxury of a deli as well as a small grocery store), and begin to familiarize myself with the house and the neighbourhood. Searching for light switches, figuring out how to work the stove, and getting turned around on my way home from the shops are all par for the course. I spend time introducing myself to my new furry friend and I’m happy when they remember me from a previous visit. Fenn is so much friendlier this time as she obviously remembers me. I’m hoping she’ll be sleeping on my bed by the time I leave.


I try to make the most of every housesit, so in addition to keeping up with my work, I follow local businesses and places on social media and read every poster I come across, so that I can participate in local activities. I plan to go see a film in the Appledore church hall next Friday and I’ve signed up for an art class (scary!) at the art gallery in a neighbouring community. This morning I signed up for a temporary library card. That worked out really well in Littlehampton where I read books by favorite authors as well as books about beach huts and a British bakery chain.

Littlehampton was unusual as I had several opportunities to socialize. A friend of a Canadian friend invited me to her home and took me to a wetland centre and a concert. A neighbour invited me over for Christmas dinner and took the dog and me to Chichester for a quick look round. I’m in Quillan for two months later this year so I’m hoping to be able to volunteer, maybe at the library, especially as I want to improve my French.


I try to pace myself. It’s tiring being constantly on the move and there are often challenges – homeowners who change their arrival and departure dates (I recommend leaving at least one day and preferably two between housesits) or a frozen credit card because Mastercard didn’t know what GWR stood for (Great Western Railway). My next challenge is how to travel from the UK and across France when France is experiencing massive rail (and other industries) strikes. I try not to fly more than I have to, so at the moment I’m hoping to take the Eurostar as far as Lyon, with the option of taking a long-distance bus for all or part of the trip. Fortunately, I have up to 3 days to make the journey!

PS None of the photos are of this year’s visit to Appledore. Although it was a gloriously sunny day yesterday, I was too preoccupied with the basic necessities to get out my camera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward