"The World Makes Me Curiouser" - Richmond and False Creek


“Curiouser and curiouser the world makes me curiouser 
I’ve so many dreams that come and go 
Why is it so? Does no one know?” 

It’s so easy to follow routines, to see what you expect to see, to fail to look around you. In an effort to explore the world around me with fresh eyes, I plan to post occasional photographs of things that have surprised me, made me laugh, or delighted me. Here are a few of the surprises I discovered in Richmond and while walking along False Creek in Vancouver.


“Curiouser and Curiouser”
It took me a while, but I was finally able to identify the beavers working on their lodge outside of Richmond Brighouse Canada Line station.


Is it a lighthouse? A birdhouse? Or maybe a beached boat? None of the above! After digging around online, we found out it was a piece of public art installed by an anonymous artist, protesting the high cost of housing in downtown Vancouver.


“I Love to Laugh”
Who knew? An entire restaurant dedicated to mangoes.


Ocean Concrete has been manufacturing ready mixed concrete since 1920 on Granville Island. Their colourful silos are a good fit with Granville Island’s exuberant atmosphere.


“It’s Delightful” 
A young girl turns a piece of public art into playground equipment.

But does the sculpture evoke more serious themes, such as nightmares, immigration, and history? Do you find giant birds beautiful or frightening? Sparrows are an invasive species; once alien and exotic, they’re now ubiquitous. Olympic Plaza, where the sculpture is located was formerly a shipyard, where sailors often wore sparrow tattoos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Brit Foods: Saskatoon’s Very Own British Food Store