Living Locally in Canada, France, and the UK


We talk a lot about globalization and how things are more and more the same the world over. And it’s true; you’ll find Coca Cola, McDonald’s, and Century 21 in countries around the world. But there are differences as well. Having lived for extended periods of time over the past 4-5 years in Canada, France, and the United Kingdom, I know that my shopping patterns, leisure activities, and interactions with other people change depending on where I live.

Food 
When I’m in France, I shop as much as possible at the local markets where I buy cheese, dried fruit, olives, flowers, and bread in addition to fruit and vegetables. In Canada I shop at the market, but usually only once a week, and there are slightly fewer food options (no dried fruit and olives).

French people favour organic food and I can find organic yogurt in the local corner store. I also have lots of vegetarian options in the “bio” (organic) stores that are easy to find almost anywhere. The equivalent health food store is less common in Canada and the UK.

I have fewer market options in the UK. I also tend to eat more ready-prepared soups and meals from stores such as Marks & Spencer’s and Waitrose as they are tasty with lots of vegetarian options.

I don’t tend to eat out often on my own and it happens very rarely in France as French restaurants don’t usually cater to vegetarians. I buy ready-made sandwiches in England but almost never in Canada or France (Prêt à Manger has interesting options for vegetarians and they are made fresh throughout the day). I am always tempted by the pâtisseries in France (baba au rhum is a personal favorite) and I love English sponge cakes (Victoria Sponge with a layer of jam and a thin layer of icing between layers is my top choice). Canadian cakes have too much icing for me, despite my sweet tooth.

Esperaza - people flock from all around for the Sunday market
Leisure Activities
In England, I watch television as they tend to have excellent documentaries and other programs. In France, I go out to the cinema, partially to improve my French but also because there tend to be a lot of small cinemas within easy walking distance. At home in Canada I have a television but only so I can watch Netflix.

The French and British have way more magazines than we do in Canada and you’ll find a small newsagent in every neighbourhood. I read nature and women’s magazines in England and current events magazines in France.

My favorite activity at Christmas in the UK is to attend a local pantomime. I love the long-standing gags and plot lines that are passed down from generation to generation. Whole families attend – from babies to grandparents – but I’m not the only single adult in the audience.

Newport, Pembrokeshire - chatting outside the newsagents
Good Manners
There is a far greater emphasis on politeness and good manners in France. When you enter a store or a bus, you have to remember that you are entering someone’s premises and acknowledge that it’s their space by saying hello and goodbye. It’s a more courteous exchange as you don’t rush headlong into the store demanding a loaf of bread or a bottle of shampoo. And it works both ways. On my trip home to Saskatoon, I was horrified by an encounter at a store in Toronto airport. The clerk was simultaneously chewing her food and talking to her colleague; she didn’t acknowledge my presence except to take my money. The United Kingdom is politer than Canada as a rule as well.

Small towns and rural areas are far friendlier than cities, no matter where you live. People smile and acknowledge each other’s presence in small towns but never in a big city where we wear anonymity like a shield.

Vienne - Roman amphitheatre
Patrimoine 
I went on a walking tour in Aix-en-Provence where the emphasis was on protecting and appreciating France’s patrimoine (aka heritage but closely linked to the word patrie for nation/nationality). People live in listed buildings where they can’t make changes to the façade. There are Roman ruins in the centre of Nîmes, France, and you can still walk along sections of Hadrian’s Wall and Offa’s Dyke in the UK.

Canadians have an unfortunate tendency of tearing down the old to replace it with something new. Thank goodness for organizations such as the Saskatoon Heritage Society that remind us to respect and preserve our history.

Bordeaux - trams, trains, bikes, and pedestrians
Cars vs. Pedestrians 
I’m far happier walking in France and the UK. Drivers tend to go slower and be more accommodating. I’ve been on buses that have had to reverse a significant distance to let another large vehicle go past. It’s out of necessity. Traffic has to move slower to accommodate narrow streets, tight corners, and unusual street arrangements so drivers are more likely to notice pedestrians. There are more crosswalks in Europe and they tend to receive more respect than in Canada.

I walked downtown yesterday and was crossing 23rd Street on a green light when I heard a car honking its horn. A lineup of cars was waiting to turn right on the other side of the street and the car second in line was irritated and wanted to speed things up. Little did he care that the driver in front of him was waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street before proceeding.

Totnes - this is the main street
Privilege
I feel very privileged to be able to live in 3 different countries and to take advantage of the things I enjoy most in each of them. I wish more people had this opportunity and could recognize that there are many different ways of living in community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

The Golden Towns of Beaujolais

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

The Future of the Saskatoon Farmers' Market - Let's Move Forward, Not Backward