Flavourful Saskatoon, Nov. 17, 2014


The Grazing Goat
I enjoyed my lunch at The Grazing Goat on 20th Street this past week. The falafel wrap included lots of fresh greens and halved cherry tomatoes as well as a cucumber-rich tzatziki, and the truffle fries are addictive. The restaurant is spacious with lots of room between tables so that you can have a private conversation.


I compared the lunch and supper menus and there are more vegetarian options at lunchtime.


Night Oven Updates
I mentioned last week that The Night Oven Bakery is now selling bialys (like a bagel but baked not boiled). Bryn Rawylyk tells me that he is always researching recipes that will take advantage of the full range of heat produced by his wood oven. Bialys and pretzels can go in when the oven is really hot, while bread goes in a bit later.

I thought that canelés (small custardy pastries) were always sweet, but apparently not. Bryn occasionally makes a savory version – you can try it out at Flock and Gather’s upcoming craft sale, Dec. 5 and 6. And if you’re in New York City, Canele by Celine sells only canelés, including parmesan and basil.

Judging the Best Baguette 
In my opinion, it’s hard to beat a soft, creamy cheese and a good baguette. But how do you define a good baguette? I like a crisp, crusty exterior and a chewy crumb.

Much as I love whole wheat bread, I have yet to try a whole wheat baguette that can compete with a white one. They may be a high-quality bread, but they lack the crust and the chew that I'm looking for in a baguette. Plus, whole wheat baguettes, by their very nature, have too much flavour (that surprised me; perhaps I don’t want the taste of the wheat to compete with the taste of the cheese).

In Paris, there’s an annual competition to judge the best baguette and here’s an article about trying to identify the best baguettes in New York City.


10 Fantastic Food Markets
If I had a bucket list, it would probably include visits to all the world’s top food markets. The Food Tank highlights 10 of the best. I’ve been to the Borough Market in London and La Boqueria in Barcelona, and they’re both fabulous.


Homemade Xmas Gift Ideas
If you prefer to bake rather than buy your Christmas gifts, here are a few ideas:

Northern Light Orchards shared a recipe for Haskap Maple Whiskey Jam

The Guardian newspaper has recipes for Blue Cheese Poppyseed Biscuits and Hazelnut and Dried Blueberry Chocolate Loaf.

Flavourful Saskatoon is a weekly Monday feature. I also post regular profiles of culinary entrepreneurs, new restaurants and new food products.

You can follow Wanderlust and Words on Facebook, Twitter, or by email (top right corner).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 21, 2017

Flavourful Saskatoon, August 28, 2017

Spelt and Millet: Ancient Grains for Today's Healthy Diet

Beer: History, Trivia and War

Artisan Cheese-Making in Saskatchewan